Seasonal allergies are a burden for many. Air conditioners, or ACs, when properly maintained, can noticeably reduce symptoms for allergy sufferers. Air filters catch pollen, dust, and other irritants, producing higher-quality air. Air conditioners also act as humidity regulators, easing allergy symptoms. Legends Mechanical is proud to help you here in Boise, ID, breathe easier.
How Does It Help?
As previously mentioned, the air filters contained in HVAC units stop harmful particles in their tracks and prevent them from circulating throughout your home or office. This greatly improves air quality and stops allergens from coming into contact with your lungs.
Another way air conditioners reduce the presence of allergens is by balancing the humidity. When a building becomes humid, this opens the door to bacteria, mildew, and mold. Balanced humidity means fewer instances of these allergens forming.
What Happens If You Forget to Maintain Your Air Conditioner?
As beneficial as an air conditioner is for allergy sufferers, poor maintenance can lead to your symptoms being exacerbated.
Filters should be changed or cleaned regularly. A clogged filter will end up circulating high amounts of dust and debris throughout your house.
Annual maintenance tune-ups and inspections are a must as well. Leaky refrigerant liquid can create a damp space that becomes a haven for bacteria and mold, which is then circulated throughout the house.
What Should You Do to Protect Yourself From Allergens?
To protect yourself, you should:
- Schedule annual maintenance checkups to make sure your air conditioner is doing its job.
- Regularly change or clean your air filter.
- Clean your indoor and outdoor units to reduce the amount of dust that gets drawn in. Check your ducts for any leaking or mold.
- Only run the air conditioner when all windows are closed.
- Consider supplementing your air conditioner with an air purifier.
- Think about purchasing a new system if yours is 10-plus years old.
We at Legends Mechanical hope you find this information helpful! Please call us at 208-466-1773 if you have any questions or would like to schedule a service appointment.